He is ranked as the worlds seventh richest person with his wealth valued at US $19.5 Billion. Mukesh Ambani is also the richest person in Asia.
Mukesh Ambani is the chairman, managing director and the largest shareholder (48%) of Reliance Industries which is India’s largest private sector enterprise and it ranks 206 in the list of Global Fortune 500 company. Reliance Industries is also listed on the National Stock Exchange of India, it has over 3 million shareholders, which makes it one of the world’s most widely held stock. For the financial year ending 2008, Reliance Industries had a annual turnover of US $35.9 billion and profit of US $4.85 billion.
Reliance Industries was by founded by Dhirubhai Ambani in 1966. Dhirubhai Ambani was an Indian rags-to-riches business tycoon and father of Mukesh Ambani.
Mukesh is also a avid cricket fan and he currently own’s the Indian Premier League (IPL) team the Mumbai Indians. Through a subsidary, Mukesh purchased the rights to the Mumbai franchise on auction for $111.9 million in 2008. The bid was also the highest bid for a franchise in the league.
The world’s most expensive home
Mukesh is currently building a US $2 Billion home he is calling “Antilla”. Once complete the home/palace will consist of 27 stories, the bottom six of which are car parking. 9 elevators are planned, presumably one for each member of the family. Each floor will apparently be different from the others, both in layout and design. The “health level,” will include an ice room, complete with snow flurries where guests can escape the heat of Bombay, along with a private gymnasium for Mr. Ambani.
- Chosen the businessman of the year 2007 by a public poll in India conducted by NDTV
- Conferred the United States-India Business Council (USIBC) leadership award for “Global Vision” 2007 in Washington.
- Ranked 42nd among the World’s Most Respected Business Leaders and second among the four Indian CEOs featured in a survey conducted by Pricewaterhouse Coopers and published in Financial Times, London, November 2004.
- Conferred the World Communication Award for the Most Influential Person in Telecommunications in 2004 by Total Telecom, October, 2004.
- Chosen Telecom Man of the Year 2004 by Voice and Data magazine, September 2004.
- Ranked 13th in Asia’s Power 25 list of The Most Powerful People in Business published by Fortune magazine, August 2004.
- Conferred the Asia Society Leadership Award by the Asia Society, Washington D.C., USA, May 2004.
- Ranked No.1 for the second consecutive year, in The Power List 2004 published by India Today, March 2004.
- Recorded as the first Trillionaire in India, June 2007.
- Awarded the “Chitralekha Person of the Year Award — 2007” by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
2007 – Ranked 14 of The World’s Billionaires
2008 – Ranked 5 of The World’s Billionaires
2008 – Ranked 7 of The World’s Billionaires Continue reading Billionaires: Mukesh Ambani – India